Onion is the most used spice in Indian kitchens and the main ingredient of every meal. It also uses as a Salad to eat. Onion (Pyaj in English) has two types White Onion and Red Onion. In Hindi, Onion is known as Pyaz (प्याज), Piyaj (पियाज़), or Kanda (कांदा) mostly. Also, as per colour types: called Safed Pyaz and Lal Pyaz in Hindi, also. In Sanskrit, Onion is popular with the names Plandu, Yavneshth, and Mukhdishak. Onion English name of Pyaz and its Latin name Allium Cepa of the Liliaceae family. Other regional Names of Onion are: In Bengali – Penchaj, in Gujrati– Kando, Dungali, or Dungari, in Marathi– Konda, in Punjabi – Ganda, in Tamil – Vanjayam, and Telugu– Niruli.
In Indian mythology and Ayurveda, you can see the Plandu in many places. Onion is not only used in the meal for taste, but it has many health properties. So, it is used by every housewife. Some people avoid using raw Onion in Salad form due to its putridity. To end the putridity or foul smell of raw Onion, cut it into small pieces, and dip it into the water for some time, before use. In Ayurveda, the Onion is one very beneficial herb that treats Tridosha. It Reduces Vaata, extrudes Pitta, and destroys Kapha Dosha. Although onion health benefits are too many, the most noteworthy of them are mentioned below:
Onion Treat What Diseases?
1. Cough Disorders
In Cough disorders treatment, the Onion is a very beneficial Ayurvedic herb. Mix onion extract of 5-7 grams with 1 gram of dry ginger and some honey. Use this mixture to extrude cough or phlegm to treat different cough problems.
When it comes to alleviating cough disorders, onions offer several benefits. Firstly, the natural expectorant properties of onions help thin and loosen mucus, making it easier to expel. This can provide relief from chest congestion and aid in clearing the airways.
Moreover, onions have a soothing effect on the respiratory system, which can help reduce the frequency and intensity of coughing fits. By calming the irritated tissues, onions can effectively suppress the urge to cough, allowing for a more restful sleep and improved overall well-being.
Furthermore, onions have immune-boosting properties that can be valuable in combating cough disorders. The antioxidants present in onions help strengthen the immune system, enabling the body to better fight off respiratory infections and recover more quickly.
2. Usefulness in Gonorrhoea Treatment
Onion is a Diuretic and uses to treat urinary disorders. Use onion extract empty stomach to treat gonorrhoea. They contain various compounds, including flavonoids and organosulfur compounds, which exhibit antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties make onions a potential adjunctive treatment for gonorrhea.
The antimicrobial properties of onions may help inhibit the growth and replication of the bacteria responsible for gonorrhea. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory properties of onions can assist in reducing inflammation in the affected areas and alleviating symptoms associated with gonorrhea.
In Hemorrhage treatment, pour the onion extract into the nose. You can also tie the half-cut onion to treat hemorrhage naturally. They contain various compounds, including flavonoids and sulfur compounds, which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties make onions a potential natural remedy for managing hemorrhage.
The antioxidant properties of onions help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, reducing the risk of inflammation and promoting overall healing. Additionally, onions contain sulfur compounds that can help improve blood circulation and strengthen blood vessels, potentially reducing the severity of hemorrhage.
To cure Bleeding Piles, take about 120 ml juice of Onion with mixing 20 gm sugar-candy to it. Finally, use this remedy once a day to get relief from the bleeding pile. They contain bioactive compounds, including flavonoids and quercetin, which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties make onions a potential natural remedy for managing piles.
The antioxidant properties of onions help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, reducing inflammation in the affected area. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory properties of onions can help alleviate pain, reduce swelling, and promote healing of the inflamed blood vessels associated with piles.
Prepare a solution of an equal amount of white onion, ginger, and lemon extract. Add honey in an equal amount of all three Ayurvedic herbs. So this herbal combination is very beneficial to treat eye disorders like cataracts, and glaucoma, and helps to improve vision. Pour 2-2 drops of this mixture into the eyes to treat eye disorders.
One of the key reasons onions are beneficial for eye health is their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Antioxidants help combat oxidative stress in the eyes, reducing the risk of age-related eye conditions. The flavonoids and sulfur compounds present in onions act as antioxidants, protecting the cells of the eyes from damage.
Furthermore, onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate eye redness, itchiness, and inflammation. These properties may be particularly useful in managing conditions like dry eyes and conjunctivitis.
Sulfur Compounds and Eye Health: Onions contain sulfur compounds such as cysteine and sulfoxides, which contribute to their distinctive taste and aroma. These compounds have been found to offer protective effects against certain eye conditions. For example, sulfur compounds may help lower the risk of developing cataracts, a condition characterized by clouding of the eye’s lens.
6. Eczema Treatment
To treat Eczema, an Onion and Vinegar mixture is useful. Apply this mixture to cure Eczema and Swelling.
While onions cannot cure eczema, they can be used as a complementary approach to managing the symptoms. Here are some ways to incorporate onions for potential eczema relief:
- Topical application: Crush a fresh onion and extract its juice. Apply the juice directly to the affected areas of the skin using a cotton pad or clean fingers. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water. This can help soothe the skin and reduce inflammation.
- Onion-infused oil: Another option is to infuse onion in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. Heat the oil and add finely chopped onions. Allow the onions to simmer in the oil for about 30 minutes, then strain the oil and let it cool. Apply the onion-infused oil to the affected areas of the skin for moisturizing and anti-inflammatory effects.
7. Baldness & Dandruff
Onion Benefits for Hairs
In Baldness home remedies, prepare a mixture of onion extract, curd, and lemon organic herb. Mix some Borax in this mixture and apply it to the roots of hairs. Wash your head after 1-2 hours, and this herbal mixture is also very useful in dandruff removal.
- Promoting Hair Growth: Onions are believed to stimulate hair follicles, which may promote hair growth. The sulfur content in onions helps improve blood circulation to the scalp, providing essential nutrients to the hair follicles and encouraging hair growth.
- Strengthening Hair: The sulfur compounds present in onions help strengthen the hair strands and reduce breakage. This can contribute to healthier and thicker-looking hair.
- Preventing Hair Loss: Onions have antimicrobial properties that can help combat scalp infections and dandruff, which can contribute to hair loss. By keeping the scalp healthy, onions may help reduce hair fall.
- Improving Scalp Health: Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe an irritated scalp and reduce redness or itchiness. They may also help balance the scalp’s pH level, creating an optimal environment for hair growth.
8. Onion Benefits for Skin
Above mentioned 7. herbal mixture is also used to treat skin problems. Finally, apply this paste to the skin to treat disorders. This herbal mixture help to cure acne, scar, stretch marks, and other skin disorders.
- Antioxidant Properties: Onions are rich in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. This can slow down the aging process, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and promote a youthful complexion.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that can help calm and soothe inflamed skin. This makes them potentially beneficial for conditions like acne, rosacea, and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Skin Brightening: The natural acids present in onions, such as citric acid, can help exfoliate the skin gently. This can remove dead skin cells, promote a brighter complexion, and improve overall skin texture.
- Moisturizing and Hydrating: Onions contain a high water content, which can help hydrate and moisturize the skin. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals with dry or dehydrated skin.
9. Throat Problems usefulness
To treat Throat problems, Onion juice is also useful. Grind it with some Vinegar and use it to cure Throat problems. To clear voice or in Hoarseness of voice, use directly fire-roasted onion with about 250 mg roasted borax.
Onions possess several therapeutic properties that make them beneficial for throat problems:
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Onions contain compounds with anti-inflammatory effects, which can help reduce inflammation and swelling in the throat.
- Antibacterial and Antiviral Effects: Onions have natural antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help fight off infections that cause throat problems.
- Mucolytic Action: Onions can act as a natural expectorant, helping to break down mucus and alleviate congestion in the throat.
- Soothing and Moisturizing: The juice of onions can have a soothing and moisturizing effect on the throat, providing relief from dryness and discomfort.
Here are some ways to use onions for throat problems:
- Onion Syrup: Prepare a homemade onion syrup by combining chopped onions with honey. Let the mixture sit overnight, and then strain out the onion pieces. Take a teaspoon of the syrup as needed to soothe a sore throat or alleviate coughing.
- Onion Steam Inhalation: Boil a pot of water and add some chopped onions. Lean over the pot, covering your head with a towel to create a tent, and inhale the steam. This can help relieve congestion and soothe the throat.
- Onion Gargle: Prepare a warm saline solution by dissolving salt in warm water. Add some freshly squeezed onion juice to the solution and use it to gargle. This can help reduce inflammation and provide temporary relief for a sore throat.
- Onion Poultice: Create a poultice by grating or crushing an onion and placing it in a clean cloth. Apply the poultice to the throat area and leave it for a short time to provide soothing and anti-inflammatory effects.
10. Onion usage for Gastric
Onion is also useful to treat stomach aches or abdominal pain due to gastric problems. Raw onion also improves the digestion power and help to digest meal properly. So, drink onion juice to improve digestion and get rid of gastric problems.
- Improved Digestion: Onions contain a soluble fiber called inulin, which acts as a prebiotic. Prebiotics promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, improving digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Relief from Indigestion: Onions possess certain compounds that can stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, helping to break down food more efficiently and alleviate indigestion symptoms.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Onions contain anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce inflammation in the stomach lining, providing relief for gastric conditions such as gastritis.
- Protection against Gastric Ulcers: Onions contain compounds that have been shown to possess anti-ulcer properties, potentially protecting the stomach lining from damage and reducing the risk of gastric ulcers.
11. Constipation herbal treatment
Onion also utilizes to treat constipation and other stomach problems like gastric. Raw Onion is a fibre-rich food, so very beneficial for the digestive system. Hence, use Onion daily in the meal or as a Salad at home to treat different stomach disorders.
- Increased Fiber Intake: Onions are a good source of dietary fiber, which can help add bulk to the stool and promote regular bowel movements. Including onions in your diet can contribute to your overall fiber intake and alleviate constipation.
- Prebiotic Effects: The FOS in onions acts as a prebiotic, nourishing the beneficial bacteria in the gut. A healthy balance of gut bacteria is important for proper digestion and bowel regularity.
- Hydration Support: Onions have a high water content, which can help hydrate the body and soften the stool, making it easier to pass.
- Digestive Stimulation: Onions contain compounds that can stimulate the digestive system, including the production of digestive enzymes. This can help improve digestion and alleviate constipation symptoms.
12. Onion Benefits for Cold
Onions contain several therapeutic properties that make them beneficial for cold relief:
- Antiviral Properties: Onions contain compounds that have antiviral effects, which can help inhibit the growth and spread of viruses that cause the common cold.
- Expectorant Effects: Onions can act as a natural expectorant, helping to thin mucus and facilitate its expulsion from the respiratory tract. This can alleviate congestion and promote easier breathing.
- Immune-Boosting Effects: Onions are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C and quercetin, which can help strengthen the immune system and support the body’s defense against viral infections.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract, providing relief from symptoms like sore throat and coughing.
13. Asthma Ayurvedic Treatment
Onion decoction is also beneficial to cure Asthma. Give the patient 40-50 gm decoction, twice a day, in the morning and the evening.
Onions contain various compounds that contribute to their potential benefits for asthma relief:
- Quercetin: Onions are rich in quercetin, a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Quercetin may help reduce airway inflammation, which is beneficial for individuals with asthma.
- Antioxidant Effects: Onions contain antioxidants that help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. This may help protect the respiratory system from oxidative stress and reduce asthma symptoms.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that may help alleviate inflammation in the airways, leading to improved breathing and reduced asthma symptoms.
- Sulfur Compounds: Onions contain sulfur compounds, such as allyl sulfides, which may have bronchodilator effects. Bronchodilators help relax the muscles surrounding the airways, facilitating easier breathing.
14. Onion for Sunstroke
To treat Sunstroke, Onion is one very beneficial herb. Apply the extract of onion on your body, when going into the sun. In many places, people cut Onions and put flakes on their ears or eat raw onion to prevent Sunstroke. So, using onion juice in any way has great effectiveness. The people who are living in deserts, use it mostly or daily to prevent Sun Stroke. Also, eating raw Onion as a Salad is one good idea.
Onions possess several properties that contribute to their potential benefits for sunstroke relief:
- Cooling Effect: Onions have a cooling effect on the body, which can help reduce body temperature and provide relief from the heat-related symptoms of sunstroke.
- Hydration Support: Onions have a high water content, which can aid in rehydration during sunstroke. Proper hydration is essential to restore fluid balance in the body and alleviate the effects of dehydration.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Onions contain compounds with anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation and swelling associated with sunstroke.
- Antioxidant Content: Onions are rich in antioxidants, such as quercetin, which can help protect the body against oxidative stress caused by sunstroke.
Here are some ways to utilize onions for sunstroke relief:
- Onion Juice: Extract juice from fresh onions and consume it to help cool down the body. Mix the onion juice with water or a natural sweetener like honey for taste, and drink it in moderation.
- Onion Compress: Create a compress by blending or mashing onions and applying the mixture to a cool cloth. Gently place the cloth on the forehead or the back of the neck to provide a soothing and cooling effect.
- Hydration Support: Include hydrating foods that contain onions, such as salads or refreshing soups. These foods can provide additional fluids and help replenish electrolytes lost during sunstroke.
- Rest and Cool Environment: Rest in a cool, shaded area to allow the body to recover from sunstroke. Create a comfortable environment by using fans or air conditioning to help regulate body temperature.
Arthritis is also treated very effectively using Onion juice. Mix the same amount of onion extract and mustard oil. Finally, Massage with this herbal solution to get relief from pain. Onion is also the best sure shot for arthritis.
Onions possess several properties that contribute to their potential benefits for arthritis relief:
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Onions contain compounds, such as quercetin and sulfur compounds, that have anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds can help reduce inflammation in the joints, leading to decreased pain and improved mobility.
- Antioxidant Content: Onions are rich in antioxidants, including vitamin C and flavonoids. These antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, which can contribute to joint damage and inflammation.
- Pain-Relieving Effects: Onions may have analgesic properties that can help alleviate arthritis pain. Some studies suggest that certain compounds in onions may inhibit pain signals and provide relief.
- Immune-Boosting Effects: Onions contain nutrients that support a healthy immune system. For individuals with rheumatoid arthritis, which involves an overactive immune response, maintaining a strong immune system is important for managing symptoms.
You must try these 15 Onion home remedies and take onion health benefits as your kitchen herb for a healthy body. In the next section, know how to incorporate onions into your diet for good health.
How to Incorporate Onions Into Your Diet
Onions, with their versatile flavor and potential health benefits, can be easily incorporated into your daily diet. Whether you prefer them raw, cooked, or as a seasoning, onions can add depth and nutrition to a wide range of dishes. Here are some simple and delicious ways to include onions in your diet:
1. Raw Onions in Salads and Salsas
Raw onions can add a crunchy texture and a sharp, pungent flavor to salads and salsas. Slice or dice raw onions and toss them into your favorite salad greens, cucumber salads, or tomato salsas. You can also soak sliced onions in ice water for a milder flavor if you find them too strong.
2. Sauteed or Caramelized Onions
Sauteed or caramelized onions add a sweet and savory flavor to many dishes. Heat a small amount of oil or butter in a pan, add thinly sliced onions, and cook them over medium heat until they turn golden brown and soft. Sauteed onions are a great addition to stir-fries, pasta dishes, sandwiches, or as a topping for grilled meats.
3. Onions in Soups and Stews
Onions are a staple ingredient in soups and stews as they provide a rich base of flavor. Chop or dice onions and add them to your favorite soup or stew recipes. Whether it’s a comforting vegetable soup or a hearty beef stew, onions will enhance the taste and aroma of your dish.
4. Grilled or Roasted Onions
Grilling or roasting onions brings out their natural sweetness and adds a smoky flavor. Cut whole onions into thick slices or wedges, brush them with olive oil, and grill or roast them until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Grilled or roasted onions are delicious as a side dish or as a topping for burgers and sandwiches.
5. Onions in Stir-Fries
Stir-fries are quick and easy meals that can be packed with flavor. Thinly slice onions and stir-fry them with your favorite vegetables, proteins, and sauces. The onions will add a subtle sweetness and texture to the dish, enhancing the overall taste.
6. Onions as Seasonings
Onions can also be used as a seasoning to add flavor to various dishes. Finely chop or mince onions and sprinkle them over pizzas, tacos, omelets, or baked dishes. They can be mixed with other herbs and spices to create delicious seasoning blends.
7. Onion Rings and Fritters
For a tasty and indulgent treat, you can make onion rings or fritters. Slice onions into rings, dip them in a batter, and deep-fry until they are crispy and golden brown. Onion rings can be enjoyed as a snack or as a side dish with burgers and sandwiches.
Remember to store onions in a cool, dry place away from other produce to extend their shelf life. Incorporating onions into your daily diet not only adds flavor and variety but also provides potential health benefits due to their nutritional properties. Experiment with different cooking methods and recipes to discover your favorite ways to enjoy onions in your meals.