Cold is a common disease, and every year many people suffered from the cold when climate change. Seasonal flu and the common cold are basic viral diseases that spread from one person to another. This Upper respiratory tract infection causes severe nasal congestion, head heaviness, body ache, headache, fever, chills, and cough as the common symptoms of a cold.
Although Ayurveda has plenty of home remedies that help you to recover fast from colds at home. So if you are facing difficulties in breathing and have severe nasal congestion then try Ayurveda-recommended naturopathic treatments. Know how to treat colds at home using these 16 natural herbal remedies.
What herbs are used to treat colds?
Mustard Oil Usefulness
1. In-home remedies for runny noses use mustard oil. Pour 2-3 drops of mustard oil into the nose when sleeping. You will get relief from colds using this home remedy.
Mustard oil has anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties that can help to clear congestion in the nasal passages and lungs. Some people also use mustard oil as a massage oil, as the warmth generated by the friction of the massage can help to soothe sore muscles and relieve congestion.
2. Sesbane (Sesbania Grandiflora) leaves extract 2-3 drops into nostrils. Besides this, you can use 10-20 gm leaves extract with honey thrice a day for oral use. This helps to get fast relief from cold.
It is also known as agati or hummingbird tree, is a species of flowering plant that is native to tropical regions of Asia. It has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic and folk medicine to treat a wide variety of ailments, including colds, fevers, and respiratory infections.
Some studies have shown that the plant has antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which suggest that it may have potential as a treatment for colds and other respiratory infections.
3. Chew three to four-leaf of betel to get relief from the cold.
Betel leaf also known as paan leaf is a popular ingredient in traditional medicine systems and has medicinal properties, including anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects.
Some traditional medical practitioners believe that it can help to relieve symptoms of colds, such as congestion and sore throat. People use betel leaf as a decongestant by boiling it in water and inhaling the steam.
Lemon And Peppercorns
4. Some people are gripped by cold, time after time. In that case, drink little warm sweet lemon juice by mixing some black salt and black peppercorns. Drink this juice regularly to get rid of the cold.
Lemon and black peppercorn are commonly used in traditional medicine systems to treat colds and other respiratory infections. Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C, which is thought to boost the immune system and help fight off colds. Black peppercorns are believed to have antimicrobial properties and can help to clear congestion in the nasal passages.
Tea for Cold
5. To prepare tea for the cold, you can use Banyan tree leaves. Take the fresh, soft leaves of the banyan tree and dry them in the shade. Crush them and boil 1-2 spoons in 1 litre of water. When 1/4th water remains then add 2-3 spoons of sugar and use it as tea. It helps to get rid of colds and coughs. Like tea, you can drink it twice a day, in the morning and evening.
6. If you have a cold and fever, then you can make another herbal tea for the cold. Take 5-6 black peppercorns, 9-10 basil leaves, 4-5 grams of ginger, and 2-3 green cardamom. Now mix all these drugs in water and boil. Prepare a decoction, you can also mix milk and sugar to make tea. Drink it 3-4 times to relieve cold and fever. It is more common use in all home remedies for colds.
There is some scientific evidence to support the use of banyan tree leaves for cold treatment. Studies have shown that the leaves have antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, which suggest that it may have potential as a treatment for colds and other respiratory infections. Some people use banyan leaves by boiling it in water and inhaling the steam, and also grinded leaves are used as a paste for external use.
7. Mix some drops of lemon in tea and drink to get rid of a cold fast. For better results, do not mix milk in the tea. lemon and other sour fruits are good sources of Vitamin C. So the intake of Vitamin C during cold problems, helps you to get rid of cold and prevent cold symptoms.
To make lemon tea, you can squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a cup of hot water, add honey or sugar to taste. You can also add a pinch of black pepper or ginger to the tea to enhance its cold-fighting properties.
Vitamin C for Cold
You can also use fresh or green vegetables to intake Vitamin C. Another to avoid the earlier symptoms of a Cold, drink Mosabmi juice (sweet lime) and terminate the earlier symptoms of Cold. Other fresh lemon juices, pineapple juice, and orange juice are also good choices for a Vitamin C-rich diet. So, the use of enough Vitamin C helps to avoid flu symptoms and makes you healthy for the entire season.
Celery and Onion
8. Grind Celery or Ajowan and mix with onion juice. Massage on chest and back for cold relief. Alone heated celery powder is used as an inhaler. It causes sneezing regularly and reduces the intensity of the cold from the head and chest.
9. In cold treatment, Onion juice 10-20 ml also uses with one spoon of honey. Use this mixture, 3-4 times a day to cure a cold.
Onions have been traditionally used to treat colds and other respiratory infections in many cultures. They are believed to have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties. Some people use onions by consuming it raw or cooked, drinking onion juice or inhaling the steam from a mixture of onion and water.
10. Turmeric smoke inhalation is also one good natural formula to cure a common cold. Avoid drinking water for an hour after trying this remedy.
Turmeric is a spice commonly used in Indian cuisine and has been traditionally used to treat colds and other respiratory infections. It is full of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties. Some people use turmeric by mixing it with milk and honey, adding it to warm water, or consuming it as a supplement.
There is some scientific evidence to support the use of turmeric for treating colds, as it contains a compound called curcumin which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Some studies have shown that curcumin may help to reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms.
11. Dried ginger is very effective for cold relief. Mix an equal amount of jaggery and dry ginger with one teaspoonful of clarified butter and prepare sauce-like material if necessary, then add some drops of water. Lick this mixture 2-3 times a day or in the morning and evening. This natural home remedy utilizes for the chronic cold also.
To reduce the intensity of the Cold, take two spoons of ginger juice with one spoon of honey.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties. Some people use ginger by drinking ginger tea, adding ginger to their food or consuming it as a supplement.
There is scientific evidence to support the use of ginger for treating colds, as it contains a compound called gingerol which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Hence, some studies have shown that ginger may help to reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms such as sore throat, coughing and congestion.
it can also be used to help alleviate other symptoms associated with colds and flu such as nausea, headache, and fever.
12. Mix Black Pepper with curd and jaggery. Eat it daily in the morning and evening to get rid of the chronic cold.
It is believed to have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and expectorant properties. Some people use black pepper by adding it to their food or drinking it as tea to relieve cold symptoms.
Guava for Common Cold
13. Prepare a powder of guava seeds and take it with warm water for cold relief. If you avoid seeds then try this remedy with leaves. You can directly eat guava fruit without seeds and after eating drink a glass of water. So, use this remedy for 2-3 days unless getting relief from the cold.
Yellow Berried Night Shade
14. In seasonal cold due to season change then Yellow berried nightshade is another useful herb. Take the same amount of this herb, Indian Fumitory (Fumaria Parviflora) and Tinospora. Prepare the decoction of this mixture of about 20 gm with a half-litre of water. Boil it, till reduces to 1/4th and use this decoction to cure a cold, cough, and fever due to season change.
15. Mix Sugar-candy and Henna leaf in natural honey. Make a paste and use it in the morning and evening to get rid of the cold fast and completely.
Eucalyptus Leaves Steam
16. Also, steam therapy works well to get relief from colds. Boil some Eucalyptus (Nilgiri in Hindi) leaves in water and take steam 3-4 times a day until you get relief from the cold.
Hence, use these herbal remedies to get relief from the common cold or seasonal cold at home. Another to relieve cold symptoms, daily eat 4-5 basil leaves or use these leaves in tea. So, you can try the remedy as per the availability of herbs at home. Also, drink only warm water and avoid rice for some days. Take light food and eat less. Fasting is another good way to recover from this disease. Green chilli is also good to cure a common cold so eat more green peppers with food.