Around 22% of the adult Indian population is suffering from Constipation
13% complained of Severe Constipation.
While 6% suffer from Constipation associated with other health conditions.
Constipation is quite a common issue in today’s world due to our lifestyle and choice of foods which makes it even worse. Because of that, the stomach and digestive organs find it hard to break down the food into pieces, because of which constipation happens.
Whether you’re suffering from acute or chronic Constipation, we share everything you want to know. From common causes and symptoms to Ayurveda treatment to the diet, which adds high fibre food that adds bulk and relaxes stool, this blog will work for children, women, and men, and during pregnancy too!
What is Constipation?
Constipation is generally described as having less than three bowel movements per week. Chronic constipation refers to infrequent constipation or difficulty in the passing of stool that lasts for a period of time or more. Constipation is a term used to describe the bowel movements which are irregular or are difficult to go through. Constipation is one of the main causes of painful defecation.
According to Ayurveda, due to improper diet and lifestyle, Aam is formed and Doshas get aggravated, especially Vata. Its digestive secretions decrease and make it unable to digest the food properly. Vata which is predominantly vitiated causes the stools to become hard and lesser bowel movements. This is known as Constipation.
Easy Understanding – Ayurveda Perspective
Symptoms of Constipation
- Less than 3 bowel movements in 7 days (week)
- Hard to pass stools from rectum
- Straining while defecating
- Feeling you cannot fully empty your bowels
14 Common Causes of Constipation
There are a wide range of reasons for constipation, and keeping in mind that many are moderately minor and simple to redress, chronic constipation can be an indication of a more serious health ailment, so make certain to examine changes in your bowel habits. Common causes of constipation include:
- Less intake of water or over consumption of dry/unctuous (ruksha) substances.
- Consuming a low-fiber diet
- Lack of physical exercise
- Delaying the urge to have a bowel movement
- Changes in daily diet or activities
- Excessive Stress (manastapa)
- Certain medications (especially strong painkillers, narcotics, antidepressants, iron pills)
- Problems with the colon and/or rectum
- Certain diseases i.e., Colon Cancer, Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)
- Ulcerative Thyroid (Hypothyroidism)
- Excessive Sleeping during the day or Insomnia
- Eating disorders
When Should I worry about Constipation?
It’s generally a good idea to talk with your doctor if you notice any change in your daily bowel movements, yet look for an effective Ayurveda treatment that eliminates the root cause of constipation. Opting for natural treatment is always a wise idea because they don’t cause severe side effects to your health.
- Unexpected constipation that is accompanied by a stomachache.
- Complete inability to pass stool or gas.
- Experiencing severe pain while passing stool.
- Blood in the stool.
- Change in the size, shape, and consistency of your stool.
- Constipation that has lasted over about 2 weeks.
Ayurveda Treatment of Constipation
AYUSHAKTI’S TREATMENT FUNDAMENTAL:-
- ANULOMAN (Rectification of Apan Vayu)
- AAM ELIMINATION (To eliminate the toxins)
- AGNI BALANCING (To balance the digestive fire)
- STOOL LOSENING (Soften hard stool)
The ultimate “Digetox” Ayushakti’s Ayurved program to treat Constipation from the root for lifelong. Experience healthy bowels, relief in abdominal pain, gas, bloating, and stop recurrence for long-term in 90 days!
WHAT BENEFIT DO YOU GET WITH AYUSHAKTI’S “DIGETOX” SOLUTION
1. Restoring normal poop.
2. Optimum digestion, healthy gut.
3. Relief in stomach pain, gas, bloating, nausea.
4. Steady improvement in body weight.
5. Unlimited energy, enthusiasm & vibrant health.
Detox Therapy (Panchkarma)
Detox is the Ayurvedic cleansing process for the body, mind and emotions that helps you to create holistic health and well-being in your life. Digestive impurities such as mucus and metabolic toxins pile up in the veins, intestine, liver and joints. They circulate throughout the entire body and block the system. Continuous build-up of these impurities can cause physical and mental disorders and diseases. A Detox helps to clean out toxins. Marma points help to remove blockages and improve circulation.
The type of detox will depend on the chronicity and severity of the problem.
- Smart detox
- Dynamic detox
- Power detox
- Super detox
It may include Virechan and Basti.
- Virechan : Virechan is the sedated purgation treatment that scrubs the body from the Pitta Dosha and eliminates toxins from the gastrointestinal tract, liver, and nerve bladder.
- Basti: Basti is the Sanskrit name for the urinary bladder. The colon is the main organ that absorbs all the nutrients. A healthy, functioning colon is imperative for the proper assimilation of nutrients. The colon is related to all other organs and tissues, so the entire body is healed and rejuvenated by cleansing and toning the colon.
Ayushakti’s detoxification Panchkarma treatments are highly focused on relieving the root cause of any chronic problem by cleansing, repairing and rejuvenating the deeper tissues and cells in your body. Click here to check out our Panchkarma Detoxification Plan
6 Ayushakti Ayurved’s Amazing Home Remedies For Constipation
1. Flaxseed (Alsi in Hindi)
Flaxseeds contain soluble and insoluble fibre, adding bulk to your stool and makes it easy to pass through.
- At night before sleeping, boil 1 tbspn of flaxseed in a cup of water for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then drink the whole cup, including the tea and the seeds.
2. Castor oil
- Make yourself a cup of ginger tea (either by boiling some fresh, sliced ginger in water or by adding some powdered ginger to a cup of hot water.
- Add two tbspns of castor oil to the tea and drink it.
3. Black Raisins
Black raisins Contains concentrated amounts of fiber and this can help to treat constipation and trigger bowel movements.
- Soak 20 black raisins in 1 glass of water overnight
- Drink this in the morning.
4. Sesame Oil
- Apply lukewarm sesame oil on the naval during taking bath and put a towel (which is dipped in warm water) on the lower abdomen.
5. CCF Tea
CCF stands for cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds. This Ayurvedic tea lets you appreciate the digestive advantages of cumin, coriander, and fennel without getting food affected.
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, or lesser (depending on your taste)
- 2 cups of water.
- 2 cups of water in a pan and bring it to a good boil
- Add coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds into the pan.
- Let the concoction boil well and once it does, cool it off
- Strain it well so as to assure that the spice mixture infuses perfectly into the drink.
- Your tea is ready to drink.
- You may add a little honey if you want some sweetness (optional)
This amazing tea has many restorative benefits.
6. Ayushakti’s Special Herbal Concoction
- 1 tsp Ajwain Powder
- ½ tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 4 pinches of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 4 pinches of Black pepper
- 4 pinches of Rock salt
- Mix all in ½ cup of warm water and drink twice a day
Gut-Friendly Foods To Fight Down Constipation
Eating small and regular meals and a healthy balanced diet is very important to beat constipation.
- Cooked vegetables such as pumpkin, squashes, marrow, courgette, spinach, fenugreek leaves, French beans, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, snake gourd, smooth gourd, mange-tout, asparagus, fennel, swede, sweet corn, onion, carrots, parsnips beetroot, celery, chicory and leeks. However, potatoes should only be taken occasionally, with skin.
- Pulses are an essential part of a healthy diet. Mung and split mung beans (green gram), tuvar dal (pigeon peas)and masoor dal (red lentils) are easy to digest, balancing and nourishing to the body. To get the full value from pulses they should be eaten together with grains (especially rice).
- Grains including rice, oat, rye, maize, millets, amaranth, quinoa, kamut, spelt, polenta, and basically everything other than wheat.
- Flours made from the above grains and also from potatoes and buckwheat are excellent substitutes for ‘normal ‘flour.
- Dry fruits like almonds, walnuts, apricots, figs, hazel nuts, dates, and raisins can be used.
- One can replace dairy milk with almond milk, rice milk, soya milk or oat milk.
- Apple and Kiwi are good sources of high fibre and help to treat constipation.
Ayushakti’s proven natural solution focuses on relieving the symptoms from the root through customized programs. If you follow all the advice (Ayurveda Treatment of Constipation) correctly, you will soon be free from all the symptoms such as severe pain, mixed bowel habits such as diarrhea, constipation, excessive gas and bloating mucus in the bowel, and incomplete bowels for the rest of your life.