What is Sponge Gourd?
Sponge Gourd is one frequently used vegetable in Kitchen. People like to eat this vegetable recipe to enjoy its delicious taste. Its ascending herbaceous spreading climber has about 10-30 cm long fruits with a diameter of 5-10 cm. These fruits are fibrous, cylindrical, and greenish in color. The leaves are heart-shaped and 10-20 cm long and wide. This creeper vegetable has yellow flowers.
Sponge Gourd Indian Names
In Latin, it is called Luffa Cylindrica and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. Smooth Luffa or Sponge Gourd vegetable is the common English name of this herb. In Hindi, it is known as Tori (तोरी), Torai, Giya Tori, Ghiya Tori, Ghee Tori, Rama Tori, Turai, Giya Torai, Badi Tori, and Kyo Kandoli. Other regional names are Dhundal in Bengali; Turai or Gulka in Gujarati; Tuppahirekai or Arhiretuppiri in Kannada; Porgonsali in Konkani; Kattupeechal in Malayalam; Dhadhagosali in Marathi; Ghiturai or Ghiya Turai in Punjabi; Mosuku or Pirkankai in Tamil and Guthibera or Nunevira in Telugu.
The loofah fruit contains the following chemicals: carotene, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamin C, niacin, thymine, citrolene, lycin, pectin, glycine, threonine, Glutamic Acid, Olic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pomotic Acid, Lenolic Acil, and riboflabine, etc. Sponge Gourd Seeds, flowers, and leaves also have useful chemicals with medicinal properties.
Use of sponge gourd in home medicine
The loofah vegetable has numerous health properties. The fruits, seeds, and oil from the seeds utilize to treat various health problems. Although it is an herbal recipe, practicised in several Ayurvedic home remedies. Try the following herbal remedies to get the best health benefits of this delicious herb.
Sponge gourd is not just a versatile vegetable for cooking, it also has a range of health benefits and can be used in home remedies. Here are some of the top uses for sponge gourd in home remedies:
- Sponge Gourd for Heart
- Consuming 1-2 gm of fruit powder with honey consider good for curing heart ailments. Cut the fruit into small pieces and make a powder of it when it is completely dried.
- To treat heartburn, mix 1-2 g of vegetable powder with licorice (Mulethi in English) and use it with honey or sugar. For better results, take a cup of lukewarm water after this dose of herbs.
- Sponge gourd is also rich in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure. Drinking a glass of sponge gourd juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey on a regular basis can help maintain healthy blood pressure levels.
2. Sponge Gourd for Skin
- The tendrils and fruits of loofah are also a good remedy for leprosy. Grind both and apply them to the skin to cure this disease.
- Sponge gourd has natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great ingredient for treating acne and other skin infections. Mix some sponge gourd juice with turmeric powder and apply it to affected areas for relief.
- The leaves are also used to treat this disease. Prepare a paste of leaves and garlic strips and apply it to the affected skin.
- Sponge gourd has a cooling effect on the skin and can help soothe sunburns and other skin irritations. Mix some sponge gourd juice with aloe vera gel and apply it to affected areas for relief.
- Smooth Gourd seeds oil is another good alternative for treating skin problems.
- The external tumor is also treated well with the paste of this fruit vegetable.
- Sponge gourd is rich in vitamin C, which can help boost collagen production and promote hair growth. Drinking sponge gourd juice on a regular basis can help keep your hair healthy and strong.
3. For respiratory diseases, the use of stem extract is very useful. Use about 125 mg of juice with honey to get the best results.
4. In the treatment of conjunctivitis, the juice of the fresh leaves is another good choice as kohl for the eyes.
5. Relieves Constipation: Sponge gourd is rich in dietary fiber, which can help promote regular bowel movements and prevent constipation. Simply drink a glass of fresh sponge gourd juice on an empty stomach in the morning to help keep your digestive system healthy.
So try the above-mentioned naturopathic treatment with this herb. To cure inflammation, mix the extract of Sponge Gourd leaves with GoMutra (Cow Urine) and apply it to get rid of swelling.
Sponge gourd is not just a delicious and versatile vegetable for cooking, it also offers a range of health benefits and can be used in home remedies. From relieving constipation to promoting hair growth, sponge gourd is a multipurpose vegetable that you should definitely consider adding to your diet. So, the next time you’re at the market, pick up a sponge gourd and see what health benefits it can bring to your life.