It is the most common skin disorder of the head. Pityriasis Capitis and Dandruff are the common English terms used for this dermal disease. In Ayurveda, it is introduced with the Sanskrit name Dharunak. It is characterized by dry, flaky skin on the scalp. It can cause itching and redness, and can sometimes lead to the formation of white or gray flakes on the scalp and in the hair. The exact cause of dandruff is not well understood, but it is thought to be a combination of factors, including dry skin, a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia, and overactive oil glands in the scalp. Other factors that may contribute to dandruff include stress, certain medical conditions, and certain hair care products.
Many people have permanent dandruff disorder that causes baldness, dryness, and other hair fall problems. In dandruff, there is brainy scaling of the scalp that detaches readily. Each individual faces this problem throughout life. In Seborrheic dermatitis, the scalp and face get diffused erythema, scaling, and crusting. It makes skin oedematous result keratinization of skin imperfection.
Ayurveda suggests some natural home remedies that help you to get rid of dandruff, naturally. So, use the following 10 best effective ayurvedic treatments for healthy hair.
Herbs for Dandruff
1. Mustard oil has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic and other natural hair care practices for its potential benefits in promoting a healthy scalp and reducing dandruff. The oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamins that nourish the scalp and hair. It may also have anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that can help to reduce dandruff. However, it is important to note that more research is needed to confirm these potential benefits. Additionally, it is important to use mustard oil in moderation, as excessive use may cause irritation or dryness of the scalp.
Massage with mustard oil in the roots of hairs for 15-20 minutes. After this, wash hairs with your used shampoo or soap to remove dandruff from the scalp hairs. So, use this remedy 1-2 times, a week for better results.
Lemon and Coconut Oil mixture
2. These are both commonly used in natural hair care for their potential benefits in reducing dandruff.
Lemon juice has natural antifungal and astringent properties that can help to reduce dandruff and scalp itching. The acidity of lemon juice can help to remove dead skin cells and unclog hair follicles, which can also help to reduce dandruff.
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that can nourish the scalp and hair. It is also known to have antimicrobial properties which may help to reduce the presence of dandruff-causing fungus.
You can mix equal parts of lemon juice and coconut oil, and then apply the mixture to your scalp. Leave it on for 30-60 minutes before washing your hair as usual. Repeat this process once or twice a week.
Mix some lemon extract into coconut oil and massage gently. Wash scalp hair after some time to get rid of dandruff.
3. Fenugreek, also known as methi, is a herb that is traditionally used for hair care and is believed to have potential benefits for reducing dandruff. Fenugreek seeds contain mucilage, which when soaked in water, forms a sticky paste that can be applied to the hair and scalp. This paste is believed to provide a soothing effect on the scalp, which can help to reduce dandruff and itching. Additionally, fenugreek contains several compounds such as lecithin, which can help to strengthen hair and prevent hair loss.
Fenugreek can be used in a number of ways to reduce dandruff. You can soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight, grind them into a paste, and then apply it to your scalp. Leave it on for 30-60 minutes before washing your hair as usual with Indian Gooseberry (Amla) and Acacia Concinna (Shikakai). Repeat this process once or twice a week. You can also use fenugreek powder or fenugreek oil to reduce dandruff.
Camphor and Coconut Oil Mixture
4. Camphor and coconut oil are also both commonly used in traditional hair care medicines of reducing dandruff.
Camphor is a natural ingredient that has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to soothe an itchy scalp, reduce dandruff, and promote healthy hair growth.
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids and has antimicrobial properties that help to reduce the presence of dandruff-causing fungus.
In 100-gram Coconut Oil, mix 5-gram Camphor (Kapoor) and store in a glass pot. Finally, use this on dry hairs, and wash your hairs to get rid of dandruff, naturally. Repeat this process once or twice a week.
Ayurvedic Hair Oil Advantages
5. Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev suggests ayurvedic hair oil for dandruff removal. Take 200-gram Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves extract and 100-gram Til (Sesame seed). Mix both solutions and warm on slow fire. Store the mixture, when the Oil remains behind after filtering it. Finally, use this hair oil to get rid of dandruff and other hair problems like baldness. So, this ayurvedic hair oil is most beneficial in other scalp skin disease treatments also.
Borax (Suhaga in English) Powder use
6. Borax, also known as sodium tetraborate, is a natural mineral that has traditionally been used for various purposes, including as a cleaning agent and a fungicide.
One another ayurvedic home remedy for dandruff with Borax of Baba Ramdev is useful. Take Suhaga / Tankan (Chemical name-Soda Biboras)- 5 Grams, Coconut oil- 5 ml, and curd 15 ml. Mix all these three and apply the mixture on all scalps. After 1 hour, washes your hair and massage gently with Baba Ramdev Divya Kesh Tail. Suhaga powder is good for dandruff treatment, naturally.
It is not traditionally used for hair care and there is no scientific evidence to support the use of borax for treating dandruff. Additionally, using borax in hair care products is not recommended by any Health authorities or organizations. It is a strong chemical substance that can cause skin irritation and other adverse effects if not used properly. It is important to always use products that are formulated for hair and scalp care and to check with a healthcare professional before trying them.
7. Cotton plant hair oil is also another best choice to end dandruff. Massage your scalp with this oil gently for some days, for the best results. While it may have some moisturizing properties, it is not considered a specific treatment for dandruff or scalp conditions. If you have any allergic reactions then try with other remedies and always make a patch test first.
8. It is also one useful natural herb that removes dandruff. It contains natural enzymes that remove dandruff and also work as a conditioner. It also helps with baldness to get hair.
Aloe vera is often used in hair care products for its potential benefits in reducing dandruff and promoting a healthy scalp. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and moisturizing properties which can help to soothe the scalp and reduce dandruff. It also contains enzymes that can help to remove dead skin cells and unclog hair follicles.
You can use fresh aloe vera gel by applying it directly to your scalp and massaging it in. Leave it on for 30-60 minutes before washing your hair as usual. Repeat this process once or twice a week. You can also purchase aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice, which can be mixed with other ingredients such as coconut oil or lemon juice to make a hair mask.
9. Opium is a drug that is derived from the opium poppy plant and it is not recommended for treating dandruff or any other scalp conditions. Opium is a Schedule II controlled substance and it is illegal to possess or use opium in most countries, including the United States, because of its high potential for abuse and addiction. It is also not considered safe to use and it can have serious side effects, including respiratory depression, nausea, and hallucinations.
Opium (Afeem in Hindi) seeds also cure dandruff, naturally. We strongly do not recommend this remedy but you can make it a try. So, Prepare the paste of seeds in milk and apply it on the head to treat dandruff and boils.
10. Reflexed Dodder or Giant Dodder (Amarbel in Hindi) is also another useful natural herb for hairs. Grind about 50 gm of this herb with 1 litre of water and heat it for some time. Then after some cooling, wash your hair with it. It will work as a conditioner and also help in baldness and dandruff treatment.
So try these the best home remedies for dandruff. You can choose any remedy that you can do easily for healthy hair.