Ashwagandha plant is 1-5 feet shrubby hazel with spherical branches in all directions. Its leaves are 2-4 inches longs with white pore skin. Also, near the flowers, the leaves are small and oriented. Ashwagandha flower is yellow-green, pipe-shaped in bunches. Winter Cherry fruit is of 0.25-0.30 inches diameter roundish shaped like Raspberry shielded inside.
Ashwagandha fruit becomes red when ripe. Its small reniform smooth and flattened seeds are yellow. Also, outer root skin is greyish and white from inside like fingers 1-2 feet long. Ashwagandha’s raw root smell like a horse (Ashwa in Hindi), So it is known as Ashwagandha. It gives strength and virility power like a horse.
Ashwagandha is one most useful ayurvedic herb supplements of the Solanaceae family. Its Latin name is Withania Somnifera and is also popular with Hindi names– Ashwagandha (अश्वगंधा), Asgandh (असगंध), and Nagori Asgandh (नागोरी असगंध). In Sanskrit, it is known as Ashwagandha, Vardha, Baldha, and Vrah Karni (Boar Ear). Winter Cherry is its English name. Other different names in regional languages are Bangali– Ashwagandha, Gujrati – Aasandh, Asoda or Ghodasoda, Kannada – Amangura, Marathi – Askandha, Malayalam – Amukkuram, Punjabi – Asgand, Telugu – Panerugaddu, Ashwagandhi or Andra, and in Tamil is Chuvdig, Amkulang or Amukkira.
Ashwagandha Chemical Composition
Ashwagandha root contains approximately 13 acids like Anahygrine, Anaferine, Trophine, etc. It contains 0.13-0.31% acid and also has glycoside, starch, glucose, and amino acids, etc.
Ashwagandha Health Benefits
Another Ashwagandha is a natural ginseng herb and has many health benefits. The top 10 best and most Ashwagandha health benefits in Ayurvedic or naturopathic remedies are:
1. In Goitre, gland inflammation (Adenitis), Asgandh root, and leaves paste are used.
Ashwagandha for Physical Weakness
2. Ashwagandha Oil is also useful to treat physical weakness and growing pains due to Vata Dosha. Ashwagandha is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine to improve physical and mental strength and vitality. It is believed to help with symptoms of physical weakness, fatigue, and stress. Some studies have found that ashwagandha may also improve muscle mass, strength, and endurance, as well as reduce inflammation.
Immune system: To boost the immune system, mix ashwagandha powder with honey and consume it daily.
3. Ashwagandha has also many internal uses and is used to treat Unconsciousness, Delusion, Insomnia, stress disorders, etc.
- Stress relief: To reduce stress and anxiety, mix ashwagandha powder with warm milk and honey and drink it before bed.
- Insomnia: To improve sleep, mix ashwagandha powder with warm milk and drink it before bed.
It is considered good for mental well-being. Some studies have found that ashwagandha may help to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, as well as improve overall cognitive function. It is believed to work by reducing inflammation and stress, which can be risk factors for mental health disorders.
Memory and cognitive function: Mix ashwagandha powder with honey and consume it daily to improve memory and cognitive function.
4. Winter Cherry is also good for the blood circulation system and use to treat high blood pressure, protuberance, and other blood disorders, etc.
It is good to improve overall health, including the cardiovascular system. Some studies suggest that ashwagandha may help to lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol levels, and improve overall heart function. It is believed to work by reducing inflammation and stress, which can be risk factors for heart disease.
5. To treat breathing disorders uncomfortableness, Ashwagandha Bhasma is used with natural honey and Clarified Butter.
6. In sperm weakness, leukorrhea, and vaginal itching or pricking treatment, Ashwagandha mostly used ayurvedic herb.
Ashwagandha is believed to improve fertility in men and women. Mix ashwagandha powder with ghee and take it regularly.
Winter Cherry for Urinary Disorders
7. Winter Cherry is used to treat urinary disorders like Urethritis and UTI in women.
It has been traditionally used to treat a variety of health conditions, including urinary disorders. Some studies suggest that ashwagandha may help to reduce inflammation, which may help to improve symptoms of urinary disorders. In addition, ashwagandha may also help to improve overall kidney function.
Ashwagandha for TB
8. Another, Ashwagandha is also used in TB (tuberculosis), Asthma, Atrophy (Child Atrophy), and Rickets cure treatment. To cure TB, take about 2-3 grams of powder of this herb root with its decoction daily. In cough treatment, take 1 part of sugar candy with 10 parts of Winter Cherry root powder. Boil this mixture with about 400 ml water. When this mixture remains about 50 ml then use this mixture to treat cough.
Baba Ramdev also suggests using this natural herb to cure Coronavirus, and Patanjali Research Center regularly works to test this natural herb.
Ashwagandha Leaves for Weight Loss
9. In weight issues or obesity treatment, Winter Cherry is also the most useful natural herb. Hence, Ashwagandha leaves are useful to reduce or lose weight and root (Mool) to gain weight.
Some studies suggest that ashwagandha may help to reduce cortisol levels in the body. Cortisol is a hormone that is released in response to stress and is known to contribute to weight gain, particularly in the abdominal area.
Ashwagandha for Skin
10. Ashwagandha is also best for skin disorders like Erysipelas, and Leucoderma. To treat Erysipelas disease, prepare some lukewarm paste of this herb root with water and apply it to the infected area. Also, To treat weapon cuts and wounds, take this powder with milk by adding some Ghee or Jaggery.
Ashwagandha root (Winter Cherry Root) is also the main used part of this natural herb. Hence a low dosage of Ashwagandha powder 3-6 gm or in Alkaline form 1-2 gm is used. , There are some mainly used herbal drug combinations of Ashwagandha in Ayurveda or Naturopathy. These are Ashwagandhadi Churna, Ashwagandharishta, Ashwagandha Ghrita, and Ashwagandha Rasayana, etc.
So, in conclusion, use Ashwagandha to treat the mentioned diseases or disorders and get a healthy and strong body.