Breast milk is the best natural diet for babies. In the first year of the newborn baby, body growth is too fast. At the time of six months, a baby’s weight becomes approximately thrice times the weight from the age of birth. To boost this quick body growth there is a need for sufficient calories and proteins that is rich in mom breast milk. Mother milk is excellent food, not only nutrients but also necessary for the mental and physical health of a baby. Ayurveda suggests a number of advantages or benefits of breastfeeding for healthy babies.
How Breastfeeding is beneficial for health?
- Breastfeeding protects the baby from communicable diseases because the mom’s milk contains antibodies.
- Mother milk is a strong disinfectant that avoids all digestive disorders.
- Breastfeeding suckling reflex is better than artificial nipple feeding, and it avoids the habits of thumb-sucking in babies.
- Breastfeeding is also helpful in uterus involution.
- There is no need of heating or cool breast milk because it is at the proper temperature.
- Breastfeeding babies’ bones and tissue growth are better than artificial breastfeeding babies.
- Breastfeeding reduces the cancer risk in mothers and creates a lifelong special bonding between baby and mother.
What are the Contraindication of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is contraindicated in mothers with the following conditions or diseases:
- Breast diseases like breast abscess and mastitis etc.
- Tuberculosis, Contagious cancer, and heart diseases.
- Fainting mothers.
- Mom suffered from Mental disorders.
- A premature and weak baby who is unable to breastfeed.
- Baby patient of hare-up (Khandoshta) and cleft palate.
What are the Best Breastfeeding Tips for Mom
- Mom should have taken a daily bath and worn clean clothes.
- Before breastfeeding, the mother should have to clean their hands and breast nipples.
- Mothers should have to remain calm and beware of any tension and hurry in breastfeeding.
- The Mom and baby both have to be relaxed position during feeding. Mom can sit on a stool in some bend front position. She should have to provide support to their nipple with her index and middle finger during breastfeeding.
4. Keep in mind that during breastfeeding, there is no nose blocking of the baby.
5. A mom should have to feed their baby after a regular interval of time. Normal breastfeeding time interval is 3 hours at 5:00, 8:00, 11:00, 14:00, 17:00, 20:00, and 22:00 except at night at 2:00 AM time. Most moms prefer to feed their babies as per their hunger signs, and it will create a regular timetable for breastfeeding.
6. Mom should have feed their baby for a maximum of 20 minutes, 10 minutes from each nipple.
7. Sometimes, the outer air goes into the baby’s abdomen during breastfeeding. To avoid this, use these tips:
- During feeding, the baby’s head should be above the mother’s abdomen.
- During and after breastfeeding, take the baby in a hug position with the shoulder and dab the baby’s back for some minutes to going out inner air.
- For belching, the baby should be in a sitting position, and with proper support, then tapping on the back slowly.